Early Childhood Learning Center (ECLC)
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) and Kindergarten
Tahoe Valley is the home for Lake Tahoe Unified School District's Early Childhood Learning Center.
- The center houses all Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classes
- Tahoe Valley Preschool is housed at Al Tahoe but works in conjunction with Tahoe Valley Elementary School
Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
Transitional Kindergarten is housed exclusively at Tahoe Valley in our Early Childhood Learning Center for the entire district. ALL children born between September 2 and December 2 will attend this specialized program legislated by the State of California. It is the first year of a two-year Kindergarten program designed especially for our youngest students. This program uses curriculum which is age-appropriate and helps students begin their mastery of the Common Core State Standards. It also incorporates the development of the Whole Child by helping to teach self-regulation, social-emotional skills, and independence through a multi-modality approach.
Hours: 9:10-1:15 (Before and after school daycare available on-site)
All TK students will enroll in the district by contacting Tahoe Valley School and signing up for TK Round-Up through that school.
Early Entry TK
This optional program is available for children born after the December 2 cutoff. Recent Legislation just changed the requirements for Early Entry. You can apply for Early Entry TK at the beginning of the school year, if your child's birthday is between December 3-March 31. You can petition for entry into the TK program by contacting Tahoe Valley. This program is only available as space is available and at the discretion of the Superintendent.
Kindergarten enrollment is for children born between December 3 through September 1. These children will attend their “Home School” unless they are chosen through a lottery process to attend Bijou’s Two-Way Bilingual Immersion Program or the Lake Tahoe Environmental Science Magnet School. Children who are eligible to attend Kindergarten may also request to attend their “School of Choice” depending upon available space at either Tahoe Valley (Visual and Performing Arts focus school) or Sierra House (Sports and Fitness focus school). Every Kindergarten class incorporates curriculum aligned to the Common Core State Standards and focuses on mastery of all CCSS.
Hours: 9:10-3:20 (Before school daycare available on-site)
All students who will be enrolling for the Fall, must first contact their “Home School” to enroll in the district and complete Kindergarten Round-Up. Once they are enrolled, they can then contact their “School of Choice” to be added to the Wait List.
New Research Report on TK
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) released a report, Impact of California’s Transitional Kindergarten Program, 2013-14, which shows TK is benefitting our young children when they enter kindergarten. The report, which controls for age and home language, finds that young children who attended TK made significant gains in academic skills and executive functioning compared to their peers who did not attend TK—amounting to as much as a five-month advantage in kindergarten. Click here for more
Resources & Information
TK Signature Programs
- Before and After School Daycare available on-site
- TK Blocks Program--This key program incorporates social studies, engineering, language development, math, economics, and community through a hands-on, imaginative, role-playing approach. Students develop 21st Century Skills (Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, and Critical Thinking) by designing and interacting in a "Wooden Block City". This specialized program can be found within only certain schools throughout California. We are lucky to have it here at Tahoe Valley. Here is a link to the article the Tahoe Tribune wrote about our unique program. Here is a UTube video on the program also.
- Performing Arts Program--
* All TK students attend weekly P.E./Dance classes
* All TK students perform a minimum of two times each year in a public performance
- Ramps and Engineering Program-- This outdoor program is available for our TK and Kindergarten students
- Technology-- All students have access to computers and an interactive "SMARTBoard" within each classroom
- Library-- All students experience the school library weekly. Storytime, finger plays, felt boards, and songs are included in this experience.
- Handwriting Without Tears-- This hands-on manipulation program helps students develop their fine motor skills along with letter names and sound through a fun, interactive, positive approach.
- Songs and Poetry-- These are embedded daily into all curricular areas. Movement and rhythm are key to young children's academic an social development.
- Field Trips-- Our TK students experience many field trips out into the community to see first hand how community members work and interact. These provide vital life experiences which build background knowledge for our students.
Comments from Parents
...Teaching real life skills
The teachers are ALL really good. The kids love them all!
Our teacher goes Above and Beyond
My daughter loves, loves the Blocks & Community program
From a Student: